- Ensure your dog’s tag contains – owner’s name, postcode, and at least one contact number.
- Ensure your dog is micro chipped – and that details are up to date.
- Dog tattoo – a permanent and visible means of identifying your dog. The National Dog Tattoo Register can provide more details.
- Tie your dog up outside a shop
- Leave your dog unaccompanied in a car
- Leave your dog on its own in the garden
- Give out information about your dog to strangers
- Use an extending lead if your dog’s recall is poor
- Vary the time and location of your walks
- Walk with a friend if you are worried
- Increase your house security – a crime prevention officer will advise you
- Consider a GPS tracker collar
- Pre-register your dog with DogLost